Monday, June 3, 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

My craving for homemade baked deliciousness continues! I'm not usually a huge carbs eater (especially being GF) but the past couple of weeks all I've wanted are muffins and coffee cakes. So, I've been trying out my favorite GF flour blend and baking some things on my own. The latest recipe is for Lemon Poppyseed Muffins. They came out really well and I was very happy with them (so was the husband). Hopefully this craving will cease soon so I don't end up gaining 40 lbs by the end of this pregnancy! Here's the recipe for ya!


What you need (makes 30 mini muffins)
- 1/2 C butter, softened
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 C GF flour (my recipe HERE)
- 3/4 C buttermilk
- Zest of 1-2 lemons (I used about 1 1/2)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 T poppy seeds


Directions

- Preheat oven to 350

- Combine sugar and butter and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy



- Add the eggs, mixing well after each one

- Add the flour, milk, lemon zest, salt and baking soda and mix until just incorporated



 - Add the poppyseeds and gently stir until mixed



- Divide the batter into a greased muffin tin. I made these as mini muffins but you could do regular size or even a loaf if you wanted



- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until lightly brown around edges and on top



- You can stop there if you like but I wanted a little more lemon flavor in mine. So I mixed the juice from 1 lemon and 1 T of sugar and brushed the top of each muffin with it. It really added a nice pop of tart lemon flavor which I loved. You can skip this step though if you prefer or have another use for your lemons.


Ta - dah! The husband really liked these and so did our church worship team! There are only 3 left so I think I'll go finish those as my breakfast this morning! Happy baking everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment