Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mac and Cheese and Vero Beach

A few weeks ago the husband and I drove down to visit his grandma, Memere, and her husband Fred for the weekend. We had such a wonderful time and Vero Beach is beautiful! One of Jon's favorite meals is Memere's Macaroni & Cheese. I've made it a few times before, but never gluten free. This time I used all gluten free ingredients and the husband said it was exactly like the original. Points for the wife! Below are some pictures from our trip and the recipe. Happy Thursday everyone!

Me and my hubby
Such a beautiful beach!
Nothing like reading on the beach!

Did you see the amazing flower moon that weekend? Amazing!
We love you Memere & Fred!



Memere's Macaroni & Cheese

What you need
- 2 cups gluten free elbow pasta
- 2 T butter
- 2 T white rice flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- Paprika

Directions
- Heat water for pasta to a boil and cook according to the directions


- Meanwhile, heat butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan


- When the butter is melted, add the flour and a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk together to form a paste and make sure there are no lumps!


- Slowly add in the milk, stirring so that it doesn't scald. Continue stirring until thickened.


- Add in 1 C of the grated cheese. I always use a block of cheese and grate it myself because I think it melts better and you never know what type of coating the bagged cheese has on it.


- Drain your pasta and add to a lightly sprayed baking dish


- Pour in the cheese sauce


- Top with more cheese and a few dashes of paprika


- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes and serve!


Super easy meal!


The husband approves!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures from Vero!! We've never tried this GF! We will have to asap!! We need it dairy-free too- but this gives me hope that it'll taste close to Memere's. It was always our favorite too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised it turned out so well. You never know with GF pasta if it will hold up well enough. I may try it with almond milk next time but I wanted to make it taste like the original the first time around :)

      Delete