Thursday, May 31, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup

The other night I asked the husband to choose a few of my dinners that he wouldn't mind having every week, just so I could hear what his favorites were. This was one that he mentioned and I have to admit that I wouldn't mind having this soup every week either. I love the broccoli cheese soup from Panera and I think this one tastes just like it. It's creamy, cheesy and pretty healthy too! Hope you all enjoy it as much as the husband does!

What you need
- 1 T coconut oil (or other oil of your choice)
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/4 C flour (I used white rice flour)
- 2 C milk (I used 1/4 C heavy cream and half n half for the rest because I had it and wanted to use it up)
- 2 C chicken broth
- 2 C fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 C grated carrot
- shredded cheddar cheese...a lot of cheese
- seasonings (I used salt, pepper and garlic powder)




Directions


- Heat the canola oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat

- Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent



- Add butter and flour and whisk together




- Add in chicken broth and continue whisking until the lumps dissolve




- Slowly add the milk and bring to a boil stirring constantly


- Put the hubby to work chopping broccoli :)



- Add in the broccoli and carrots and a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder




- Reduce heat slightly and cook until the veggies are tender about 20 - 25 minutes. Make sure you keep stirring so the milk doesn't scald

- Before serving add in the cheese. Start with 1 C and then taste. I think I added about 2 C total...we like ours really cheesy



- Taste and season if needed. Serve with toasted bread and a little more cheese on top.



- YUM!



1 comment: