Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tuscan Chicken Pasta

I know it's been a while since I've posted a recipe. Sorry! We've definitely got baby on the brain these days as we draw ever closer to Joshua's arrival.

But this isn't a baby update (that will come later this week).

I have a new recipe for you all that was easy and delicious. The only problem is I have absolutely no photos of the process or finished results. I was too hungry and my feet were too swollen by the end to care. Sorry, I'm lame. But I promise it came out delicious and the husband had two platefuls! Hope you all enjoy it!


Tuscan Chicken Pasta - adapted from Melskitchencafe.com

This wasn't a gluten free recipe to start with so I had to make some changes. I was a little apprehensive using GF flour and almond milk but boy did it turn out well! I also don't find peppers appealing right now so I subbed sundried tomatoes instead. I also made this a pasta dish (similar to chicken alfredo) but the original recipe keeps the chicken breasts whole and serves the sauce on top. I also didn't bread the chicken. Whatever you want to do and have time for is absolutely fine!


What you need
- Chicken breasts or cutlets, cubed (If you're cutting the chicken like I did, use cutlets - cheaper and cooks faster)
- 8 oz GF pasta (I used fusilli but you could use penne, elbow or fettuccini/spaghetti)
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 1/4 C sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T tapioca flour
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 6 oz fresh spinach
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1 C almond milk (or whatever milk you have)
- 1 C grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste


I know that looks like a lot of ingredients but it goes really quickly I promise!

Directions

- Bake chicken at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes. Set aside to cool. I seasoned my cutlets with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.

- Cook pasta according to directions.

- While the pasta is cooking, start the sauce.

- In a large skillet, heat 1 T of oil (I used coconut) over medium heat

- Add the onion, tomatoes (or red pepper) and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the onions begin to sweat.

- Add the tapioca flour and cook 1 minute

- Add the chicken broth and reduce heat to a simmer for 3-4 minutes (It will get thick)

- In a measuring cup, whisk together the cream and cornstarch. Add to skillet and stir well.

- Add the milk and spinach and a bit of salt and pepper

- Continue to simmer until the sauce is thick and the spinach is wilted

- Stir in parmesan cheese

- Add the cooked pasta and the cubed chicken and stir together, making sure the sauce evenly coats everything.

- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!

*If you want to serve it like the original recipe, leave the chicken breasts or cutlets whole, place on a bed of noodles, and spoon the sauce over the top. *

Here's a picture of the original recipe. Doesn't it look yummy?!


Happy Tuesday! Baby Josh update is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment