Thursday, July 25, 2013

Peach & Nectarine Cobbler

What do you do when you are 39 weeks pregnant in the dead heat of summer and your doctor lovingly tells you there's nothing you can do to encourage your unborn child to make his appearance?

Drown your frustration and grumpiness in brown sugar coated peaches and nectarines. With vanilla ice cream on top. That's very important.

Since I'm at the end of this pregnancy and all I can really think about is getting this child out of me, I'm trying to distract myself with different activities each day. I've never attempted a gluten free fruit cobbler before and since I had a bowl full of organic peaches and nectarines I figured it was a good activity for this pregnant lady to try out. Plus, I got to pig out on the results afterwards. Score!

This turned out wonderfully! The husband and I each had a bowl before dinner and I had another for breakfast the next day. I'm sure you could easily substitute other fruits depending on what is in season.

What you need (forgot to take a picture - sorry!)

Filling:
- 4 C sliced peaches/nectarines (I had both so I used both)
- 1/2 C cold water
- 1/3 C unpacked light brown sugar
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 T unsalted butter

Topping:
- 1 C all-purpose GF flour (I used my usual blend found here)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 C milk (I used almond)
- 4 T (1/2 stick) softened butter
- Cinnamon & Sugar for garnishing


Directions

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees

- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder.



- Add the milk and butter and beat with a mixer until smooth



- Over medium heat in a large saucepan, combine the filling ingredients and cook until bubbly (5-10 minutes)

This will smell AMAZING!

- When the filling is bubbling, pour into an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking dish

- Spoon the topping over the filling. This didn't work out too well for me so I ended up kinda swirling it in and it came out just fine.

- Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and sugar on top if desired

- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown



- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (or whipped cream would be good too!)

Mmmm so good!

Enjoy! I'm gonna go try and have a baby now!

1 comment: