Friday, May 24, 2013

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

My latest pregnancy craving has been homemade baked things...yummy bread, coffee cake, muffins...you name it, I want it. I found a couple recipes on Pinterest that I wanted to try and make gluten free, one of them being these delicious looking blueberry yogurt muffins.

These were great! I scarfed down 2 of them as soon as they came out of the oven. About 5 minutes after I finished, Joshua got the hiccups and started moving like crazy...which I'm taking as a sign that he liked them too! What I liked most about these is that they weren't too sweet so the blueberry flavor really came through. I liked that they are made with yogurt instead of butter too!

You could easily make these as mini muffins but I stuck with the original recipe. I'm already planning on making another batch and look forward to eating these for breakfast over the next week. Oh who am I kidding...these will be gone in a couple days. But shhh don't tell.

Here's the recipe!

What you need (makes 12 regular size muffins) - adapted from CookingAndMe.com


- 1 C plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 C oil (I used coconut)
- 2 C all purpose flour (my blend is listed below)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 C blueberries (I used frozen)






Favorite Flour Blend - from the Gluten Free Bible

- 1 C white rice flour
- 1 C sorghum flour
- 1 C cornstarch
- 1 C coconut flour (or almond flour)
- 1 C tapioca flour

Sift together and store in an airtight container. You can easily double/triple the recipe as well!


Directions

- Preheat oven to 375 and line muffin tin with baking cups

- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, vanilla and oil and mix together


*If you're using coconut oil, add it gradually so it won't harden when it hits the cold yogurt*

- In another medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt



- Remove 1 T of the dry ingredients and toss with the frozen blueberries. This will help keep them from sinking straight to the bottom of your muffins



- Gently fold in the wet ingredients to the dry. Don't overmix or the muffins will be tough

- Add the blueberries and gently stir. The batter should resemble cookie dough and don't worry if it turns purple from the blueberries


- Fill your muffin cups evenly and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean


- Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!


1 comment: