Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ham Scalloped Potatoes

I love potatoes. Give 'em to me in any way, shape or form and I love them. It's a good thing that they are naturally gluten free and also cheap! The other day I saw a recipe for Ham Scalloped Potatoes from the Pioneer Woman and I knew I had to try them! I halved the recipe and added some green onion at the end. They were delicious! The husband and I ate these and a salad for dinner and were completely full, but you could serve this as a side dish if you prefer. It is a little bit involved, especially if you have to cut the potatoes yourself (like me) but the results were wonderful! Hope you enjoy!

What you need
- 1.5 lbs potatoes (I used yukon)
- 1 T butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1.5 C cubed ham
- 3/4 C half n half
- 3/4 C heavy cream
- 1/8 C white rice flour
- 1 C grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 C grated sharp cheddar
- Black pepper to taste
- Green onions (optional)





Directions


- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet

- Add the onions and cook until they just begin to brown



- Add the ham and cook 3-5 minutes until it heats through



- Remove from heat and set aside

- Wash and slice up your potatoes. You want them to be as thin as possible. If you have a mandolin this part of the recipe will be super quick. If you're like me and don't have one of those then I sympathize with you on how long this will take.



- In a microwave safe bowl add the half n half and heavy cream (this is NOT a healthy recipe people...just accept it and move on)

- Nuke it in the microwave about 20 seconds, just to take the chill off

- Add the flour and lotsa (since that's a word) black pepper and stir well


- Combine the two grated cheeses and set aside

- In a buttered casserole dish layer 1/3 of the potatoes


- Next add 1/3 of the ham and onion mixture

- Add 1/3 of the cream mixture

- And top with 1/3 of the cheese combo

- Repeat this process 3 more times until all the layers are finished


- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes

- Remove the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly

- Top with green onion and let it cool slightly


- Serve and enjoy! (I forgot to take a picture of the husband's plate...sorry!)


No comments:

Post a Comment