Thursday, June 7, 2012

Blueberry Boy Bait

This recipe is one of the husband's favorites. I made it for him early on in our courtship and he always enjoys when I make it for him. My mom made this for my dad when they were dating, and it apparently hooked my dad also...hence the name "boy bait". A few weeks ago we went blueberry picking and came home with seven...yes seven...gallons of blueberries between my mom and I so in an effort to use them up I figured I would try a gluten free version of this infamous dessert. It came out wonderfully well and the husband was impressed...and frankly so was I! I'm glad to have a version of this that I can eat and the husband can enjoy. It is NOT, I repeat NOT a healthy recipe but it is amazingly tasty and let's face it, not all things can be healthy!

What you need
- 2 C GF all purpose flour blend (I used the blend from the gluten free bible cookbook)
- 2 C sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 C butter, softened
- 1 C buttermilk (you could sub any kind of milk but I think the buttermilk is best)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C frozen blueberries
- Cinnamon and sugar for topping







Directions


- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients and mix well


- Add the eggs, beating well after each one


- And gradually add the milk and the vanilla


- Beat batter until smooth and pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan

- Place the blueberries on top


- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 C sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon together. With a spoon, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of the blueberries



- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top

- I didn't get a picture of the finished pan because we were SO excited to try it. I did manage to get a picture of a few crumbs though!



- I am so excited that this turned out so well. It tastes SO much like the original! It's technically a dessert, but if you want to have a piece for breakfast I won't tell. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

1 comment: