Thursday, May 10, 2012

Greek Quinoa Salad

This recipe is fast, easy and delicious (my 3 favorite things when it comes to cooking!) I made this with the quinoa/rice blend from Costco that I posted about a while back. I haven't had the best luck cooking quinoa from scratch yet...it always comes out mushy no matter how long I let it sit or try to fluff it up. I'm going to try cooking it in my rice cooker next! In the mean time, I love the bags from Costco. It's certified organic and takes 90 seconds to cook in the microwave...who wouldn't love that? The husband really enjoyed this meal and already asked for it again. I hope you give it a try!

What you need
- 2 bags quinoa/rice mix (or about 2 C cooked)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Greek seasoning (optional)
- Greek salad dressing
- Black olives, minced (optional)


Directions


- Heat a bit of coconut oil in a small skillet

- Add the onions and peppers and a bit of greek seasoning if using



- Add the onions and peppers to the cooked quinoa



- Add about 2 - 3 T of greek salad dressing and a bit of salt and pepper to taste


- Add in the chopped cucumber and stir well


- Add the crumbled feta cheese and stir. You will want to taste it now and add more dressing or seasoning if needed.


- And the black olives if using. The husband hates olives so I only added them to mine


- Yummy! We both had 2 big bowls of this for dinner and were completely full. Quinoa is a great source of protein and is a great meatless option. We don't eat tomatoes so I didn't add those but if you like them I'm sure they would be great in this!

- Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. Haha- I saw the olives and was wondering if Jon was now a fan :). I'm so glad you have this blog. It encourages me to try new GF meals for my family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete