Monday, June 24, 2013

Shrimp and Grits

This is another Brown family favorite recipe! And while it's not necessarily the healthiest recipe, it sure is one of the tastiest! Jon absolutely loves shrimp and grits and even though I've known this for a while, this was my first time making it for him. I'd say it was a tremendous success (and mommy and Joshua enjoyed it too!) Thanks to my mother-in-law, Gisele, for passing on the recipe and my sister-in-law, Stephanie, for originally posting the recipe so I could follow it!


What you need

- 1 C grits
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used frozen)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried parsley

*optional:
- 1 C chopped green onion
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

I left the optional things out because of my preggo heartburn but it's really yummy with a little spice!






Directions

- Cook the grits according to the directions on the box

- After they have simmered, add the butter and cheese. Stir and set aside

- Cook your bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove and set aside but DON'T drain the pan!



- Run warm water over your shrimp (if using frozen) and remove the tails

*NOTE: I usually buy fresh shrimp but I can't really stand the smell of the seafood counter at the grocery store these days, so I bought the frozen kind and they worked great!

- Add the garlic, shrimp (and red pepper if using) to the bacon grease and cook for 3 minutes.



- Add the lemon juice, parsley (and green onion if using) and immediately pull off the heat

- Add in the cooked bacon and stir



- Add the shrimp mixture to your grits. Be sure to not waste any of the delicious juices left in the pan!

- Stir well and serve. You can top with more cheese if you like (which we did!)



*CONFESSION: I ate 2 bowls. It was SO delicious! Hope you all enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm salivating!! This is indeed one of our favorites. Because we REALLY like cheese grits, the last few times I increased the amount of grits, cheese (and butter of course :) ) and we liked it even better. We also like to add med. spicy Andouille sausage and we double the amount of bacon- just cause. Soooo good!! I got this recipe from Eileen Blackburn.

    ReplyDelete