Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spinach Dip

Hey everyone!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. My husband's brother and his wife came down from Charlotte for a visit this past weekend (such a blast!!) so I was a bit preoccupied! Today I have a really easy, simple and tasty appetizer recipe for you. I made this last night for our community group and I'm pretty sure everybody liked it! (The husband didn't taste this one because he's not a spinach fan) It's really versatile and you could easily add or omit things. I've found that it's pretty difficult to mess up spinach dip. Next time I think I will add artichoke hearts and some red pepper flakes for some heat. Bell peppers and sun dried tomatoes would be delightful as well!

I'll have Jon's favorite Jambalaya recipe up soon also so be sure to check back for that! Happy Thursday to you and yours!

What you need
- 2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 1/2 C grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese (not pictured)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- splash of half & half (or milk)
- salt and pepper








Directions


- Preheat oven to 375

- In a small skillet, heat a bit of oil over medium heat

- Add chopped white onion and garlic and cook 3 minutes (or until translucent and fragrant)



- In a medium bowl, combine the spinach, onion and garlic, green onion, cream cheese, sour cream and half & half



- Mix together until combined



- Add in the cayenne pepper and a dash of salt and pepper (probably 1/4 tsp of each)

- Stir in 1 C of the mozzarella cheese and all of the parmesan



- Put the mixture in a buttered baking dish




- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly



- While baking, conquer the mile high pile of dishes in your sink. Oh...maybe that's just me.



- Serve immediately with chips or crackers


*NOTE: For a lower fat version substitute low fat cream cheese and sour cream and use skim milk instead of the half and half.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!!! I have a spinach dip recipe too, that calls for artichoke hearts & crushed red pepper, and other goods. :) Mmmm!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh all that cheese- yum! I didn't know Jon doesn't like spinach. Probably 'cause I hardly ever made it. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will each spinach in a salad but not cooked spinach like this :)

      Delete