Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bean and Rice Enchiladas

I don't understand people who don't like Mexican food. Seriously? You don't like MEXICAN? If you are one of these people:
A. I think you are weird and out of your mind
B. Disregard this recipe

Now, for those of you who are as obsessed with Mexican food as I am read on. Enchiladas are one of those meals that pretty much everyone has made before. It's hard to mess them up, and even if something goes wrong you can usually rectify them by smothering them in sauce and cheese. They are usually made with flour tortillas and either red or white sauce. I love them. But since flour tortillas shall never again enter our household I switched to corn tortillas, thinking that there wouldn't be a big difference. I was wrong. My first attempt at these a few months ago didn't go very well. No amount of sauce or cheese could disguise the fact that my little enchiladas were dry and falling apart. Since then I get my enchiladas from Tijuana Flats.

But a couple nights ago I was feeling brave and wanted to try them again. This time I did my research and came up with a really great recipe that resulted in delicious and not even slightly dry enchiladas. This is based on 2 different recipes and some of my own experimentation. I hope you enjoy them!

What you need (makes 10 enchiladas)
For the sauce:
- 1 T canola oil
- 1 T tapioca flour
- 2 cans (10 oz each) enchilada sauce
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 T chopped cilantro
For the filling:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 C black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 C pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 C cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese


Directions


- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

- In a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil and tapioca flour over medium heat. Whisk until it forms a paste, about 1 minute



- Add the canned enchilada sauce, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Reduce heat and simmer while you prepare the filling.




- In a large skillet or dutch oven heat a bit of olive or coconut oil over medium heat

- Add the onions and jalapenos and let cook 5-7 minutes



- Add the beans and Rotel



- Add the cooked rice and stir together well



- At this point, taste your filling and season with salt and pepper. I also used a bit of cumin and garlic powder.

- Remove filling from heat, cover and set aside

- Stir in the cilantro to your simmering enchilada sauce



- In a medium skillet, heat some canola oil over medium heat. You want about an inch of oil.

- Add the corn tortillas one at a time and cook for about 30 seconds on each side



- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain

- Repeat with remaining tortillas

- Once your tortillas are finished it's time to fill 'em up!

- Dip each tortilla into the warm enchilada sauce



- Fill with about 1 1/2 T of the filling



- Add some cheddar cheese



- Roll and place in your baking dish, seam side down

- Repeat with remaining tortillas



- Top with more sauce



- And more cheese



- Bake for 20 minutes and serve



- The husband likes his enchiladas plain, but I added sour cream, green onion, and olives to mine



- The husband approves!




*NOTE: You could easily add ground beef or shredded chicken to these if you don't like the meatless option. I will say though, the husband didn't even notice that there wasn't meat in these until I pointed it out to him. He didn't miss it at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment