Sunday, March 4, 2012

Saturday Morning Breakfast

We love having lazy Saturday mornings. I am not much of a morning person (and the husband would say I am REALLY not a morning person) so I always look forward to the Saturdays when we can sleep in and just have a lazy day together. The husband usually leaves by 7:00 am every morning and unless I have to be up for work he lets me sleep (awww). So, this past Saturday I decided to surprise him with breakfast and not just any breakfast...but waffles. He got me a belgian waffle maker for Christmas and had bought it before finding out I had to be gluten free. The poor thing has been sitting in my kitchen in its box and neglected for 3 months now. I decided it was about time to break it in and try my hand at gluten free waffles. So, a little scared and a little apprehensively I got a recipe from the gluten free homemaker's blog and made sure there was cereal in the pantry as an alternative to the waffles...just in case. Boy was I impressed with these little babies! They were fluffy, moist, and I had to keep myself from stuffing my face with them. The husband even said they didn't taste gluten free at all. Try them...or if you are planning on visiting our little home anytime soon (that means you Steph and Gisele!) I promise to make them for you.

Gluten Free Belgian Waffles (adapted from Gluten Free Homemaker)

What you need (makes 8-10 waffles)


- 1 C brown rice flour
- 1 C sorghum flour
- 1 C potato starch
- 1/2 C tapioca starch
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 C almond milk
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 C oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl



- In a medium bow mix the almond milk and the vinegar and let sit for a few minutes

- Add in the oil, eggs and vanilla to the milk mixture

- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir to mix well. Batter may have a few lumps.


- Spray your waffle maker with cooking spray

- Ladle in the batter and cook away!


- Feel free to add different mix-ins (blueberries, chocolate chips, chopped nuts)



- Once cooked, top the waffles with butter and warm maple syrup



Served with coffee, orange juice and God's word these were a great start to our Saturday morning. I froze the extra waffles that we didn't use. I'm interested to see how they are frozen and then reheated since I've heard that gluten free baked goods don't usually hold up as well in the freezer. I'll let you know! Hope you all enjoyed your weekend as much as we did!

1 comment:

  1. We just had GF waffles today from a GF mix! I can't wait to try yours!!! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete