Friday, March 16, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

We love chicken pot pie. There is something comforting about it and I made a gluten FULL version of it when we were first married quite often. In fact, I'm pretty certain that my husband put on a couple pounds just from eating chicken pot pie. Once gluten became my enemy though, I figured I would have to do without this comfort food, until I discover gluten free bisquick. I love that there are so many gluten free makeovers happening to name brand products these days! The perfectionist in me would have loved to have made a gluten free pie crust from scratch...but sometimes shortcuts are just necessary. This recipe was really yummy and it's a good meal for company as well! I think next time I'll add some potatoes and cheese and maybe a bit of cumin...I love cumin with chicken. Hope you all enjoy it!

What you need




- 1 1/2 C cooked and shredded chicken breast ( I used 2 chicken breasts)
- 4 T butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 3/4 C chicken broth
- 3 T cornstarch
- 1 1/4 C almond milk
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 C Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dried parsley

Directions


- Cook the chicken. I did 2 breasts at 375 for 20 minutes with seasoned salt and pepper. (You could also use leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken.)


- Change oven temperature to 350

- In a large saucepan melt 2 T butter over medium heat


- Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent


- Add the vegetables, chicken, chicken broth, salt and thyme. Heat until boiling


- In a small bowl mix together 3/4 C almond milk (or milk of choice) and 3 T cornstarch until smooth


- Add to chicken mixture and heat until boiling


- Pour mixture into an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish


- In another bowl, mix together the Bisquick, the remaining 1/2 C almond milk, egg, and 2 T melted butter until smooth


- Drop the Bisquick mixture by small spoonfuls over the chicken mixture


- Sprinkle with the dried parsley and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean


- Serve and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I like that it uses almond milk! We'll have to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules,

    Are you predominantly casein free as well? I only see butter for "milk" products...just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I'm not completely dairy free but we don't drink or use cow's milk (except in coffee sometimes). We switched to almond milk after watching Forks over Knives where they talk about how cow's milk isn't very good for us anyway. We like almond milk and I've found that it works just as well as cows in my baking and cooking!

      Delete