Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas

You may have seen a few pins floating around (if you're a Pinterest sort of person) about these oven baked fajitas. Well I when I was searching for new recipes and easy things I could make on my Freezer Cooking Day (I promise...that post IS coming soon) I decided to give this one a try.

The husband and I normally aren't very big fajita eaters. We prefer tacos or enchiladas but I wanted to try something different and I knew that the husband would like it as long as it was Mexican. This recipe turned out pretty well for my first crack at it! It was super quick and didn't require ANY cooking on my freezer day (score!) and when it came time to make them, everything was finished in 20 minutes. The seasoning wasn't spicy enough for the husband so I'll probably add some cayenne or red pepper flakes next time. Overall though, it was a greet weeknight meal and I will make it again!

What you need (adapted from Six Sister's Stuff)

- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 small onion, sliced
- Bell pepper, sliced (I used 1/2 red, 1/2 yellow)
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Corn tortillas
- Additional toppings on serving day




Directions

- In a small bowl, combine the oil and spices. Mix well and set aside



- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, Rotel, onion and bell pepper


- Pour in the spice mixture and mix together well


- Place chicken mixture on a baking sheet or in a baking dish

- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through



- Wrap in warm corn tortillas, add toppings and enjoy!

We had beans, lettuce, cheese, onions, salsa and sour cream as our toppings!



Freezer Cooking Directions

- Follow the steps until "place chicken mixture on a baking sheet." Instead, place chicken mixture in a gallon size freezer safe bag and store until ready to cook.


- When ready to bake, let the chicken thaw a bit before baking

- Follow same baking instructions. So easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment