Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls

The holiday season is the perfect time for cinnamon rolls! Actually I think any season is perfect for cinnamon rolls but that's just me. I've been wanting to make these for a while so finally I hunkered down, cast aside my fear and made two batches of these babies. I made these during my Freezer Cooking Day (which I will be sharing soon!) so I didn't bake them. I simply shaped them, put them in aluminum pans, wrapped them well and stuck them in the freezer until we needed them. They were DELICIOUS!! I still haven't mastered the perfect frosting for them yet, but the actual roll itself was so good. Even the husband was impressed! I hope you enjoy them too!

What you need (recipe from The Gluten Free Homemaker - makes 8 rolls)

Dough
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2/3 C warm milk (I used almond)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C oil (I used coconut)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 T instant yeast
- 1/2 C sorghum flour
- 1 C corn starch
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt


Filling
- 2/3 C brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 C chopped nuts (optional) *I did one batch without and one batch with*


Directions

- Using a mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix well

- Add the milk, egg, oil and vanilla. Beat well

- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and add to the wet mixture

- Beat on high until well mixed. The dough will be soft but should not have any lumps


*OK, this part can be a little tricky but it works! And makes clean up super easy!*

- Tape a piece of plastic wrap to your counter and sprinkle it lightly with sugar

- Place the dough on top and cover it with another piece of plastic wrap, sprayed with cooking spray

- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is a 13 1/2 inch square (or closely resembles one) 



- Take off the top piece of plastic wrap 

- Mix together your filling ingredients



- Sprinkle the filling over the dough, leaving a margin on one side (so you don't lose any filling when it's rolled up)




- Lift the bottom piece of plastic wrap off the counter and encourage the dough to roll. It should roll by itself after you get it started.



- Once completely rolled, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces



- Place in pan and either cover and freeze or bake immediately at 375 degrees for 20 minutes



- Make a simple glaze using powdered sugar, milk and vanilla while they bake


- Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment