Thursday, February 16, 2012

Product Review

Hey everyone!
Happy Thursday :) Today I thought I would share a couple of gluten free product reviews with you! Please keep in mind that these are just my opinions and what I have found that works for me. Unfortunately, being gluten free means a lot of trial and error with products and recipes until you find what you like.

The first product is Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Crackers. They sell them in a 2 bag box at Costco for around $7.00. I love these and am so happy to have found them. I am a HUGE salty snack girl and prefer chips and pretzels over chocolate (I know I'm weird.) Since most of the things I liked before (wheat thins, cheeze-its and pretzels) are dangerous for me to have, I am always looking for GF alternatives to fill that void in my life! These are a good substitute and I eat them with hummus or a chunk of cheese on top. I'm pretty sure these are available at grocery stores as well, although I haven't seen them at my Publix.

Now, I have not done much GF baking so far, but am going to try a few recipes in the next few weeks. My other GF buddies have had to instruct me on what flours to get, and most everyone agrees that Bob's Red Mill brand is the best. I found everything I needed at Whole Foods (except the brown rice flour - I got Arrowhead instead). The flours are definitely more expensive than regular gluten filled all-purpose, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy them all! They were between $4 - $5 per bag. The most expensive thing was Xanthan Gum, but generally you only need a couple teaspoons per recipe. My sister-in-law swears by the recipes from the Gluten-Free Homemaker's blog. I haven't tried any yet but will soon now that I have all of my flours!

Bob's also makes certified GF oats, which I found at whole foods for $6.00 for a 32 oz bag. I make my own granola (I'll share that recipe tomorrow!) so the GF oats are a must for me. 
That's all I have for today! I would love to hear if you guys have GF products that you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment