Friday, February 10, 2012

Lettuce Wraps

Oh my soul these are good! Forgive me for bragging about my own recipe...but WOW. You must make these. You just must. Jon and I went to PF Changs recently (they have an entire gf menu by the way) and we got their lettuce wraps. They are salty, crunchy and full of flavor and I was determined to replicate them on my own. I found a recipe on Pinterest and tweaked it a little. I think I got pretty close! You should make them tonight...seriously do it.

What you need (serves 2-3)
 - 2 T sesame oil
 - 1/2 lb ground chicken (I used organic chicken breast and ground it myself in the food processor)
 - 1/2 md onion, minced
 - 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
 - 2 1/2 T gluten free soy sauce
 - 1/2 T water
 - 1 T peanut butter
 - 1/2 T honey
 - 1 T + 1 tsp rice vinegar
 - 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
 - 3 green onions, chopped
 - 1/2 can (4 oz) water chestnuts, diced
 - 1/4 C peanuts
 - Outer lettuce leaves for serving

Directions
- Heat 1 T sesame oil over high heat in a wok (mine was $7 at Ikea...awesome) or skillet

- Add chicken, onions and a dash of salt and pepper
- Cook until the chicken is nearly done, but still pink. Add garlic and stir
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the rest of the sesame oil, soy sauce (make sure it's certified gluten-free!), water, peanut butter, honey, vinegar, chili sauce and a dash of pepper. Microwave for 20 seconds and mix until smooth.
- Add sauce mixture to chicken and stir to coat. Your kitchen will smell heavenly at this point.
- Add green onions and cook 1-2 minutes
- Add water chestnuts and cook 1-2 minutes
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and you are ready to serve! I made some vegetable fried rice to make it a complete meal.
- Then comes the real test...the husband tries what you have made.

He fills it up...
He takes a bite...
And...it's a winner!!!
He's already asked me to make them again :) Points for the wife! 

These really were exceptionally good, and I'm usually pretty hard on myself when it comes to recipes. I will definitely be making these again! Even though I had to buy a lot of ingredients I didn't have on hand, I now have them in my pantry to use again and again for this recipe, plus it was on the table in 30 minutes. This fed the both of us for dinner, plus leftovers for me the next day. If you are planning on more than 2 people I would definitely double or triple the recipe. Also, the original recipe called for WAY more oil and diced mushrooms but I thought it was tasty without the additional oil and we both hate mushrooms so I left those out. Play around with your own ideas :)

Have a great weekend everybody!!


















2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to make lettuce wraps for ever now. THIS will be the recipe i try :) yayy!!

    ReplyDelete