Thursday, April 4, 2013

Easy Lemon Chicken Cordon Bleu

Even though the husband and I try not to eat meat super often (usually only once or twice a week) we both REALLY love chicken. My husband will usually pick a steak over a chicken dish if we go out but since beef is expensive and a little more challenging for me to cook well, we do a lot of chicken at home. This is a recipe that I have made a lot and it is delicious! It isn't the traditional chicken cordon bleu (usually coated in breadcrumbs and accompanied with a mustard sauce) but we both love it, especially the husband who hates anything with mustard in it.

Unfortunately since we found out about our little guy on the way, I haven't been able to cook (or even look at) raw chicken. I wasn't even able to eat it without gagging a little until a month ago. I can eat it fine now if I don't have to prepare it, but if it's raw forget about it. Thus, there aren't any step by step pictures to go along with this recipe because I didn't actually make it recently. But...I HAVE made it in the past and it's quick and easy enough for a weeknight meal but also turns out well as a freezer meal. I hope you guys enjoy it and I can't wait to make it again after our little dude is born!


What you need (original recipe from canyoustayfordinner.com)

- Chicken Breasts (1 for each person), butterflied
- Thinly sliced ham (1 for each person)
- Provolone cheese (1 for each person)
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- Coconut oil (or olive if you prefer)
- Seasoned salt and pepper
- Dried parsley


Directions

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees

- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside

- Butterfly each chicken breast to look like this

(picture from canyoustayfordinner.com)

- Season the inside of each butterflied breast with salt and pepper

- Place a piece of ham and a piece of cheese on on half of the butterflied breast. You may need to tear the ham and cheese a little so it doesn't extend over the edges of the chicken

- Fold the other half over and secure with a toothpick

- Brush the top of the breast with oil and generously season with salt, pepper and a little dried parsley

- Put a lemon slice on top of the chicken bundle

- Repeat until all the chicken breasts are filled and seasoned

- Bake for 20 minutes and serve!

(picture from canyoustayfordinner.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment