Thursday, August 30, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE SOUP! I don't care if it's blazing hot outside I always enjoy a bowl of soup and it's one of the most versatile and inexpensive meals there is. Soup is also a great meatless option and there are always puh-lenty of leftovers for the husband to take for work lunches. What's not to love? This particular soup is creamy, filling and oh so delicious and the torrential downpour outside made this an extra cozy dinner at the Brown house! 


What you need (adapted from Annie's Eats)

- 5-6 small potatoes (I used yukons)
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 C GF all purpose flour, divided
- 6 cups milk (I used 2 cups half n half and the rest almond milk)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Toppings:
bacon
green onions
sour cream


*NOTE: Please ignore the onion in this picture. I was going to use it but ended up using onion powder instead to keep the texture as creamy as possible.*



Directions

- Cook the potatoes until almost fork tender, drain and set aside. You could use regular baking potatoes if you have those on hand as well. I like to under-bake the potatoes a little because they will cook some more once you add them to the soup.



- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat



- Add in 1/4 C of the flour and whisk to form a paste. Cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes



- Add in the milk, whisking constantly so it doesn't scald



- Add in the remaining 1/4 C of flour and cook until thick, about 8-10 minutes



- Add in the onion powder and garlic powder



- Chop your cooked potatoes into bite size pieces, and add to milk mixture



- Add in the shredded cheese and a bit of salt and pepper. Stir until melted



- Add in the cayenne pepper (You can omit this if you don't like spice...I think a little heat is nice in such a rich soup)



- Prepare your toppings



- Taste the soup to check your seasonings and add more if needed

- Serve with a nice salad and enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Does potato soup freeze? I'm thinking no- but wondered if you've tried. Do you think the soup would be good with JUST almond milk? Hmmm? :)

    Looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually HAVE frozen baked potato soup before and it was fine. I think what you want to avoid is freezing heavy cream and this soup doesn't use that. I think using just almond milk would work great...I just had some half n half that I needed to use up :) I will say that since the almond milk is a little thicker than regular milk you may need to use less flour...otherwise it becomes more of a potato chowder (which is still good!)

      Delete