Thursday, September 6, 2012

Perfect Pot Roast


I know very few people who don't enjoy a good pot roast. It's like the all american family dinner meal right? I don't make it often, simply because it can be a bit pricey...and also because the past few times I made it in my crockpot it came out pretty dry, even though I followed directions. I decided to attempt it again and this time I turned to my Pioneer Woman cookbook. I followed her recipe exactly and it came out wonderful! This recipe works best if you have a dutch oven, but I think a crockpot low and slow would work as well. The husband wholeheartedly approved of this recipe and requested it again very soon. Score!


What you need (Original recipe from The Pioneer Woman - serves 4)
- 1 3lb roast (I used a chuck roast)
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1/2 C carrots
- 1 1/2 C GF beef broth
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3-4 springs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper








Directions

- Preheat oven to 250 degrees

- Season both sides of the roast with salt and pepper, let it sit and come to room temperature if it's cold.


- Heat 1 T oil (I used coconut) in a dutch oven over medium heat

- Cut each onion in half and add to hot oil. Let the sides brown and then turn over to do other side.




- When onions are browned, remove and set aside

- Cut up your carrots and add to the pot. Saute for 2 minutes and remove



- Add the roast to the pot and sear on both sides. You're looking for a nice golden brown crust. It should only take about 1 minute per side



- Remove roast to a plate. Adjust the heat to high and pour 1/2 C of beef broth in the pot. Using a whisk, scrape up the browned bit on the bottom of the pot


- Turn off heat and add in the roast, onions and carrots to the pot


- Add in the herbs. I definitely encourage you to use the fresh herbs in this. It makes a huge difference in flavor and your house will smell so good!

- Finally, add in enough liquid to cover the meat halfway. Make sure the herbs are submerged in the liquid so that they really flavor the broth





- Cover the pot and roast in the oven for about 3 hours (if you are preparing a bigger roast you will obviously increase the time. About 1 hour per pound is sufficient)

- It's very important not to disturb the roast while it's cooking. Don't open the lid or even the oven. Trust me. Be patient and it will be worth it!

- When the roast is finished you can either slice it or shred it. I prefer shredded but I took a picture of it before we tore it apart. Serve the carrots, onions and garlic on the side.



- I served this with green beans and rosemary roasted red potatoes (a great way to use up the leftover fresh rosemary!) It was delicious!





No comments:

Post a Comment