Monday, April 23, 2012

To die for muffins

A while back I experimented a bit with banana bread muffins. I took my original recipe for banana bread and tweaked it a bit, then added a brown sugar crumb topping. Oh my goodness. These are without a doubt my favorite muffins and now I set some bananas aside to get over-ripe just so I can make these. The husband loves them and says he could eat them all day. I also got rave reviews from gluten eaters that said these didn't taste gluten free at all (yay!!) Hope you all enjoy them!

What you need (makes about 40 mini muffins)
- 1/2 C brown rice flour
- 1/4 C potato starch
- 1/4 C sorghum flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 C coconut oil
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/4 C almond milk


Directions


- Preheat oven to 350 degrees

- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl (through the xanthan gum)


- In a separate larger bowl, beat the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth

*Note: If you're using coconut oil, make sure it's in liquid form before you add it. Also, make sure the eggs are room temperature. I added the oil a little bit at a time to keep it from solidifying. If it gets too cold it won't mix in and will turn back to a solid.


- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with the almond milk


- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the mashed bananas/milk to the sugar and egg mixture. Start and end with the dry. (I did dry, banana, dry, banana, dry)

- To make the topping: Combine 2/3 C brown sugar, 4 T brown rice flour, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.


- Cut in 2 T of cold butter until the mixture resembles the picture below


- Pour the batter into a greased muffin tin and top with the brown sugar topping if using


- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean


- I like making the mini size but you could make regular size too if you prefer. These are best eaten while still warm, but are good the next day as well. Just make sure you store them in an airtight container so you don't lose the moisture. Enjoy and happy Monday friends!


4 comments:

  1. Mmm! Are these the ones you brought to the green room? Because they were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep these are them! They are my new favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, love your blog that I recently found through a comment your mom left on another blog that I read about adoption! I think I have two gluten intolerant little ones and want to do a trial run of gluten free. We love muffins so definitely will make these, do you think they would freeze ok too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog :) I think these muffins would freeze great, although I haven't tried that method yet. Let me know how they turn out if you end up making them!

    ReplyDelete