Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

Well, I've officially brought fall into my house. Now in Florida we don't really have a true fall season, so I have to do some manipulating in order to get my brain to think that there is a bit of chill in the air. The other night there was a slight breeze and it actually felt "nice" outside so I knew what I had to do. I lit my pumpkin spice candle, turned on some Frank Sinatra and made chicken noodle soup. And it just so happened that I was battling a really sore throat so soup was definitely a good decision. The husband really liked this version of chicken noodle soup, although he did say that he isn't use to all the vegetables. Interpretation: he likes Campbells canned chicken noodle soup. You know the kind I mean. With the incredibly salty chicken broth, the straight noodles and the itty bitty pieces of a tastes like chicken substance. Yuck. This was super easy, start to finish in about 30 minutes, and gave us leftovers for the week. I don't think the husband will ever eat Campbells again!

What you need

- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 small red potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- fresh herbs (I used rosemary and basil)
- 1 cup cubed chicken
- 1/2 T poultry seasoning
- 2 cups gf short pasta






Directions

- Heat a bit of coconut oil in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic and potatoes and stir.



- Add the celery and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes



- Add in the chicken broth, herbs and poultry seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes



- Add in the chicken and pasta. Cover the pot and allow the noodles to cook.



- I used these cute little corkscrew quinoa noodles and they were great!



- Taste the soup and add more seasoning if needed. Top with some parmesan cheese and serve with garlic bread!

2 comments:

  1. What kind of garlic bread did you use that was gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly,
      I made my own using Udi's gluten free bread, butter, granulated garlic and a little italian seasoning.

      Delete