Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


You all know that I'm not a huge baker. I used to LOVE to bake but became a bit fearful of it once I had to cut out all gluten. I'm slowly getting more comfortable with mixing flours and substituting things. The other day it was raining and lovely and I desperately wanted to smell chocolate chip cookies baking. So I set out to make these little babies and I was not disappointed! These are really delicious. Great texture and taste and even gluten lovers said they were good (which is the best compliment ever!) I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

What you need (original recipe from Land O Lakes.com)
- 2 1/4 C all purpose flour blend (my recipe is below)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 3/4 C butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips




Flour Blend


- 2 C white rice flour
- 2/3 C potato starch (make sure it's not potato flour...not the same thing!)
- 1/3 C tapioca flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.








Directions


- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in a medium bowl and set aside for later


- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, white sugar and butter together until fluffy



Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one


- Add the vanilla and beat well, scraping the bowl as needed


- Add in the flour mixture in stages, beating well after each addition


- Add in the chocolate chips and stir gently to combine



- Use a tablespoon to drop the dough onto a greased cookie sheet


- Bake for 9 minutes or until golden brown (DO NOT OVERBAKE!)

- Let cool slightly (if you can be patient that long) and enjoy!! These were the perfect companions to my rainy afternoon and it makes about 3 dozen so you have plenty to share! Happy baking!





4 comments:

  1. Where do you buy all your gf flours? I am wondering if I should start buying them online to lower the cost. These cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get most of them at Whole Foods. I don't use them quickly enough to buy in bulk online and they're pretty reasonably priced at WF. These cookies were delicious!

      Delete
  2. Um...so what temperature does the oven go on??? ;P Guess I should have made sure I had that tidbit of info before 11:30 at night when I want to put them in the oven. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bake at 375...so sorry Colleen! I'll fix the post :)

      Delete