Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Roasted Kale Chips

I'll admit that it's taken me a while to jump on the "kale is awesome" bandwagon. I've had it in soups and in salads and enjoyed it but it's not the leafy green I tend to choose all the time (spinach is a different story...I love me some spinach!)

For the past 6 months or so we have been getting a local organic produce delivery every other week (shout out to Space Girl Organics!) and we have been loving it!! It's so nice to get fresh fruit and vegetables (and eggs!) delivered right to your door and it's always a beautiful selection (and they let you choose what you get so you never end up with things you don't like!) If you're looking for a produce delivery in Central Florida, definitely check them out.

Ok back to the recipe...

This past week we received a bunch of curly kale in our delivery and I roasted some with fingerling potatoes (also in our delivery) and carrots for dinner but didn't know what to do with the rest. I finally decided to try these "kale chips" I'd seen almost everyone raving about. They were awesome! While they definitely do NOT taste like a potato chip, they did satisfy my craving for something salty and crunchy in the moment and if you season them well they don't taste at all like salad. Give 'em a try!


What you need

- 1 bunch Kale (I think this is curly Kale which worked great!)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or olive oil)
- Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper

*You can really use whatever spices you want. I just wanted garlic and a little spice but you could use whatever you have on hand. *




Directions

- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees

- Wash your kale and dry thoroughly (make sure it's REALLY dry or else the oil won't stick to it)

- Take leaves off from the ribs, tear into bite size pieces and spread out on a baking sheet



- Pour the oil over the leaves

- Sprinkle liberally with salt



- Add your garlic powder (I used quite a bit because I loooove garlic)



- And if you can handle a little kick throw some cayenne on 'em too



- Toss everything together to coat the kale evenly


- Put the baking sheet in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the leaves are browned and crisp



Waiting for the "chippies" to cook!

- Let them cool completely before eating. This will also help them crisp up more



- So yummy and super easy!



 Happy (healthy) Snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment