Thursday, April 26, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

These were an experiment for dinner the other night. The husband and I both like peppers and I heard that stuffed peppers are delicious. I had an extra pound of ground beef and just started adding ingredients. Do you ever do that? They came out pretty well! Next time I will only use green peppers because I didn't like the flavor of the red ones as much. The husband really enjoyed these and they were just as delicious the next day for our lunch!

What you need
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 C spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- fresh basil and parsley, chopped
- 1/2 C cooked brown rice
- 4 large bell peppers
- grated parmesan
- sliced mozzarella






Directions


- Preheat oven to 350 degrees

- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef (or other ground meat)

- Drain and return to skillet

- Add the onions and garlic and cook until fragrant



- Add the parsley and basil. You could add 1 tsp of Italian seasoning instead.



- Add the spaghetti sauce. If you like a lot of sauce you can add more than 1 C.



- Add in the cooked rice (if using) and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.



- Remove the tops and middle of the peppers. The husband did this part for me...he's wonderful. You made need to slice the bottom as well so they stand up straight.



- Spoon the filling into each peppers. Don't be afraid to really fill them up!



- Place inside a deep casserole dish or dutch oven



- Top with grated parmesan and the sliced mozzarella



- Cover and bake for 30-35 minutes. Top with some italian seasoning.



- I served these with a salad and it was a perfect meal!

The husband's plate before...

...and his plate about 10 minutes later. I'd say he enjoyed it!



2 comments:

  1. I have never made stuffed peppers Italian-style like this...I'm going to have to try it! I've always done them with a Mexican flair (ground beef or turkey, taco seasonings, rice, corn, black beans, tomatoes...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good! I'll have to try that! We love mexican :)

      Delete